Preparation and Action: How do you differentiate between the two?
As we head into the fall and winter, we are hearing all kinds of scary things about the Flu and COVID, and what to do about the flu vaccine. I prefer to write about how to prevent both and what to do in case.
You may recall that in my several posts last winter I mentioned the fact that 50% of Americans have at least one chronic illness diagnosed and 80% of Chronic illness can be reversed with nutrition, diet, and lifestyle. However, this is almost never suggested. Why? To why way of thinking, it is the drug companies that are pushing medications rather than reversal of chronic illness. My goal is in supporting my clients to reach optimal levels of wellness through a variety of interventions, testing and so on.
Flu and COVID can be difficult to diagnose as there is an overlap between the symptoms, and this is also true for a cold or allergies.
In both cases your symptoms can be little to severe.
The most common COVID symptoms include fever, dry cough, and fatigue. Other symptoms include shortness of breath, muscle aches and sore throat. Diarrhea, nausea, runny nose, and red eyes are reported, but these are less common. With COVID we have also heard about loss of taste or smell and headaches.
I am not aware of loss of taste or smell with the Flu.
It is best to be examined, as those individuals that have chronic illness may exhibit worse symptoms if they have asthma etc.
These symptoms can be seen with the flu or other upper respiratory viruses, but generally does not last as long as COVID. So, should you come down with something, it is best to get tested to contact your physician to help determine what you have and what your course of treatment should be.
I start with diet and lifestyle with all my clients, because you are what you eat, as Adele Davis said so many years ago.
How serious are you about supporting your immune system?
If you are serious about supporting your body, there are a few simple things you can do and then adding nutrients will help support your immune system.
- Eliminate sugar, yes, all refined sugar, and carbohydrates as they turn into sugar in your digestive system.
- Eliminate all gluten products. (If you do not want to believe me, read: David Perlmutter’s Book: The Grain Brain. )
- If you want to go further, eliminate corn and genetically modified foods. Check your labels.
- These are the basics and I hope providing these suggestions will improve your health and opportunity to reverse what I still call: COVID IS A NUTRITONAL CRISIS! May people cannot do this alone, and that is why I am here to help you navigate a Function Medicine approach to healing.
Let us move onto supplements.
Many of you know, if you follow me, that there are certain basics that I believe everyone should be on 24/7, not just to prevent the flu and COVID.
So, let’s start with these. Should you wish to further add another layer of protection, then I will suggest some higher doses and should you contract either the flu or COIVD, I will suggest some even higher doses.
For Prevention these are my general recommendations. and what I consider essential. Do not wait. Start now!
So, what are the basics? (I will provide my recommended companies should you wish to ensure that you are getting the best of the best nutrients. There is a difference).
- Vitamin C: I prefer Lypospheric C as it is delivered in a liposomal delivery form. 3000 mg a day. **
- Vitamin D3 and I like to complement it with K2. 5000 D3 is generally recommended unless you are exceptionally low in D3. Then I start with higher doses until my client achieves optimal levels. **
- Zinc: we have all heard about Zinc and I prefer Zinc Picolinate: 25 mg a day
- Bifido Bacterium: a probiotic that reduces histamine and inflammation. **
- Vit A: I prefer liquid form and a maintenance dose of 5000 would be adequate at this stage. **
What if you get the Flu?
I know you may not want to take all of these, but I am giving you my best recommendations and what I would do if I get the Flu this winter.
- Increase Vit C to 5000 mg or more
- Increase Vit D3/K2 based on your levels. I like to see my clients at 60-80 or more based on their diagnosis.
- Zinc: Increase to 50 mg
- Bifido Pro: Take 2 2 x a day. **
- NAC: it encourages Glutathione production and thins mucus and lowers your chance of influenza infection and reduces the risks of severe bronchitis. I recommend: 500 mg to start but would increase to 800 should there be congestion. If you have COVID I will recommend even higher doses.
- Elderberry Extract: Is known to shorten influenza duration by 2-4 days and reduces the severity of the flu.
- Beta-Glucan reduces the severity of the influenza infection.
Here are some other nutrients you might want to consider, but remember it is always best to coordinate your care with a Functional Medicine Practitioner.
- R Alpha Lipoic Acid: boosts interferon response. 500 mg 2x a day.
What if you get COVID?
- To the above, I would add Glutathione especially for those exhibiting breathing issues. Last year, I read about Dr. Richard Horowitz utilizing high doses of Glutathione to improve breathing. However, I am not recommending you do this alone.
- Stop elderberry with an onset of COVID. So, again, it is best to determine what you have before adding or eliminating Elderberry.
- Melatonin: which many consider for sleep do not know that Melatonin is an antioxidant and an antitoxin. It has been found to have an important place in the treatment of COVID. Many people increase their melatonin to 20 mg at night and this is based on the YouTube Lectures I have been following by Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt, MD
- Quercetin: is known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is considered to have the potential to active against the coronavirus. 500 mg 2x a day
Is this a lot? Perhaps, but I want to give you options to consider and have in your home dispensary. Again, do not wait. Start now and build on your immune system.
Please refer to my many posts on COVID prevention as well as interviews.
**If you wish to purchase some of the supplements I have asterisked:
- Lypospheric Vitamin C: Livon Labs
- Bifido Pro: Master Supplements: 1-800-926-2961. If you use my coupon code, LEVIN 15, they will extend to you a 15% discount.
- Micel A: Klaire Labs
I work with many professional supplement companies, and I am very picky about what I consider to be the best.
Please refer to my blog posts here to read and learn more. And please reach out if you need some personalized help.
Remember, you pay for what you get. I do not recommend drug store brands. I also do not purchase from Amazon, because there have been so many issues with whether the products are legitimate.